Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Choke (2008)


I will preface this by saying that I did not read this book before I watched the movie. The book I heard was fantastic. The movie was just good. It had it's funny moments, some hysterical, but in the end I just felt like it lacked something. The thing is, I can't figure out what.

Sam Rockwell plays Victor, a hopelessly sex-addicted loner who works at a old time recreation center and bilks people out of money by choking in public. He makes the money to keep his mother, who suffers from Alzheimer's, in a top-notch care facility. There he meets a doctor who wants to try radical "procedures" to help Victor's mum. There were some really funny moments in the movie, a lot revolving around the sex-addicts annonymous meetings.

The movie seemed like a vehicle for the dialog in the movie, which was funny but didn't move the story along as well as it should have. Rockwell was funny and Anjelica Huston played the mother well, but this was disappointing in the fact that it could have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment