Sunday, January 11, 2009

Capote (2005)

This movie is great. I did not know much about Truman Capote before I saw this, and now I know as much as I could probably handle. Phillip Seymour Hoffman just transformed into this character and fully enveloped himself. The person who doesn't get enough credit is Clifton Collins, Jr as the killer Perry Smith. His role was so in depth and introverted, that it was easy to get lost in Hoffman's overall performance.

The movie as a whole does not get all the credit it should. The storyline was great, and while it never came out and said he was gay, he wasn't hiding it in the movie. He let himself get really close to Smith and use him to get his book finished. Smith didn't get angry, he knew what was going on and let it happen.

Hoffman deserved everything he got for this role, but I wish the movie got more praise and more awards as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment