Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Funny People (2009)

I am still quite torn about this film. It was funny, it had the necessary components for the plot to work, but the movie just dragged at parts and was WAY too long.

George Simmons (Adam Sandler) is a world famous comedian. Picture a Jack Black or, dare I say, Adam Sandler. Ira (Seth Rogen) is a beginner comedian who has some good jokes but is still struggling to break through. On a pure coincidence, George sees Ira perform at a comedy club and decides to make him his personal writer/assistant. It is at this point where George tells Ira he's got a rare form on cancer and is slowly dying. He begins to make amends to his family and friends, including his lost love Laura (Leslie Mann). Right as he's lost all hope, the experimental treatments start to work and the cancer is fading. The question then becomes "What does George do now?"

There are two parts to the movie and, while I think they are both necessary to the plot, one just seemed to drag out way too long and got a bit annoying at parts. The parts with Jason Schwartzman and "Yo, Teach!" are hilarious and Aziz Ansari's RAAAAANDY was totally underused. I think I'm caught right down the middle on this one, but it was a bit disappointing. I gave this 3 stars but that might be generous. I'm not going to say to see it or not, that's up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment