Monday, July 6, 2009

Gran Torino (2008)

I'm just going to take a stab at it, but the moral of this movie is that everyone is racist. I may be slightly off.

Clint Eastwood plays Walt, a Korean War vet who is just as curmudgeonly as they come. He finds something to hate in every aspect of life. Some are reasonable, like when his granddaughter dresses inappropriately and texts during his wife's funeral. Some are not reasonable, like his racism. After a Hmong family moves in next door, he realizes that the neighborhood has changed around him to, almost entirely, gang territory with the new neighbors in the middle. Walt eventually grows close to the family, saving the kids, Thao and Sue, from gangs on a couple of occasions. He relies on no one's help but his own and feels his form of justice is justice served.

I thought this was a great movie, with an ending that was mildly surprising to me. I expect a little bit of a shock from all of Eastwood's movies lately, so I was looking for it and I was still surprised. Great performance from Clint and nice performances from the newcomers in the Hmong family. I recommend this film to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment