Sunday, February 27, 2011

The King's Speech (2010)

Rounding out my viewing of the top Best Picture nominees, this movie was pretty good. I know it's the frontrunner, but I wouldn't put it at the top of my list. Had some flaws, but still quite enjoyable.

Prince Albert, the Duke of York, the future King George VI (Colin Firth), has just an awful time speaking. He's had a terrible stammer since he was a small child and can't command a room like a public figure should. After every doctor fails, his wife (Helena Bonham Carter) goes to take Albert to see a speech therapist named Lionel Logue (Geoffrey Rush). Following some initially hesitation, Albert sees Lionel's methods start to work. There's a method to his madness. After his father dies, and his brother abdicates the throne, King George VI takes control of the monarch. Not long after, Britain enters into war with Nazi Germany. This is the time the country needs its leader more than ever. The citizens under the power of the king need to hear from his majesty to make sure that their country won't fall of Hitler. George VI may not be that ruler.

The performances were terrific, and I can see why Colin Firth is the favorite to win Best Actor. Also, if Christian Bale didn't kill it The Fighter, then Geoffrey Rush would easily win Best Supporting Actor. Now, there are two main criticisms of this movie that I'll address. 1) That it's historically inaccurate. Honestly, I don't care. They're making a movie not a documentary. 2) That it looks like an HBO or BBC movie and not a film. This one I do agree with to an extent. While getting Oscar-worthy performances out of the actors, the directing was so uninspired that it did really feel like I was watching it on HBO. Tom Hooper does not deserve Best Director. However, the acting really put this over the top for me. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment