Friday, May 29, 2009

Fanboys (2009)

Wow, did this movie fall flat on its face. I had such high hopes for this and I was thoroughly disappointed. It had a terrific premise and a good young cast of actors, but it forgot the golden rule for a comedy; humor.

Taking place in 1999, the story is about 4 friends from high school reuniting after sort of drifting apart after college. The one thing they all have in common is that they are eagerly awaiting the release of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. Being that they are still four months away, they know they must wait. When it's revealed that one of the friends has cancer and may not make it that long, the 4 decide to drive cross country, break into George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch and steal a copy of the film. Not without a few slip-ups along the way.

I gave it 2.5 stars mostly for the Star Wars nerd inside me, but this supposed comedy just didn't make me laugh more than twice. There were a few geek-friendly moments in the movie, but I really wouldn't waste my time on this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment